Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hacerse en una Científica

      A lot of important life-defining events are and will be occurring lately. I started this internship because I thought it would be fun and I wanted a good reason to travel. Now that I'm applying for graduate school, I'm finding I have to take these research experiences very seriously. I think I want to do research professionally and for the rest of my life. Now that I have applied for a PhD in marine ecology and I have some legitimate research experiences, I have things to talk about with other professional researchers and when I speak with them I feel like they actually care about my opinion. That has never happened to me before, and I'm not sure what to think. Am I seriously doing this? Do I want to devote my entire life to the study of the ocean? Am I no longer a kid, doing whatever I want because it's fun and I get to add it to my list of life experiences that build me personally?

I do want to become a scientist, and here is why:

  1. I love being around the ocean.
  2. I love learning about the biology of the ocean.
  3. I look up to and admire oceanic researchers.
  4. I have lots of fun exploring ocean habitats.
  5. I enjoy pursuing my curiosities. 
  6. I enjoy independent work. 
  7. I enjoy having an unpredictable and non-traditional work schedule. 
  8. I enjoy working very hard to achieve large goals. 
  9. I greatly enjoy the company of those who study the ocean, I have made some of my best friends while doing oceanic research, and I continue to meet amazing new people when I do research.
  10. When I look at the lives of professional researchers and see what they are doing, I can see myself being happy living a similar lifestyle. 

Number ten there is probably the most important. Not only do I admire the work of researchers I know , but I admire their lives in general. None of them seem unhappy. They are people that have pursued what they love and are now doing it well.

Soon I will find out if I will in fact pursue this career/life path as graduate schools make admissions decisions. I will have a huge decision to make--where I will study, what I will study, and with whom. This decision will change my life forever! I am so glad to be making it.

Pura Vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment